One of the best ways to improve residential energy efficiency is to conduct a home energy evaluation. This process helps you find where you are using (or losing) energy and gives you a baseline for making corrections and repairs. Here is a quick checklist for a home energy evaluation that can help you save energy and money.
- Make sure there is an adequate amount of insulation in your home’s walls, floors, ceilings, foundation, attic, and basement. It’s common to find blanket insulation between beams and joists. Loose-fill or foam insulation may be found in places with odd shapes or that are hard to reach.
- Increase insulation or add it where there is none. Pay particular attention to the attic, which can get extremely hot in the summer and allow warm air to be lost during the cooler months.
Find and Seal Air Leaks
- Look for air leaks in some of the more common places, such as around windows and doors, at places where pipes or wires penetrate your walls, around electrical switches and outlets, and where the attic floor or foundation makes contact with the house frame. Seal these leaks with caulking or other appropriate material.
- Put foam or rubber weather stripping around windows and doors to seal gaps and stop drafts. Install rubber sweeps at the bottoms of doors to seal those areas.
- Check the ductwork of your HVAC system. HVAC system ducts should be in good repair and all connections should be sealed with mastic or metal tape to prevent air leaks.
- Replace standard incandescent light bulbs with energy-saving CFL bulbs or LED bulbs.
- Pay attention to how you use lighting and make it a habit to shut off lights when you leave a room or if the light is not needed.
With more than 46 years of experience in the HVAC industry, Rinaldi’s Air Conditioning is a premier choice for Orlando and central Florida customers who need heating and cooling services. Contact us today for more information on conducting a home energy evaluation and identifying how you can save energy and money.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Orlando, Florida and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
For a FREE Home Energy Evaluation ($399 Value), click here!
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Michael D Brown/Shutterstock”