Standard HVAC Preventative Maintenance Tasks All Homeowners Should Know About
In the same way your vehicle requires regular tune-ups to stay in optimal condition, so too does your heating and cooling system. While there are some simple things you can do yourself — such as changing air filters — most tasks will need to be done by a pro. It’s important to learn more about the maintenance that should be performed regularly to ensure your system stays in tip-top shape for as long as possible.
HVAC Preventative Maintenance Tasks
The U.S. Department of Energy recommends scheduling annual pre-season maintenance appointments with a qualified HVAC contractor to optimize your system’s energy efficiency and to avoid untimely, costly breakdowns. During a tune-up, the following tasks are typically completed:
- Your thermostat’s settings are inspected to ensure it’s programmed to keep your home feeling cozy when you’re awake and energy-efficient when you’re away or asleep.
- Your air filter is checked to see if it needs changing.
- Your electrical connections are examined and your motors’ current and voltage are measured to ensure safe and proper function.
- An auditory test is conducted to determine if your system’s making any strange sounds while in operation.
- The burner combustion, heat exchanger, gas pressure and oil or gas connections are inspected and adjusted if needed.
- Any gunk is cleaned off of your evaporator coils, drain lines and drip pan.
- Your blower assembly is inspected and cleaned to maximize airflow efficiency. Improved circulation will not only make your home feel more comfortable in less time, but it will result in lowered energy costs as well.
- All moving components are lubricated to prevent friction.
- Your ventilation system is inspected in order to ensure effective operation.
- The refrigerant level is checked to see if its within the proper range.
- Any dirt or debris surrounding your outdoor unit is cleared away.
- Your compressor and tubing are inspected for damage and correct functioning.
Do you need a qualified technician to complete these HVAC preventative maintenance tasks? Feel free to contact Rinaldi’s Air Conditioning Service in Orlando anytime.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Orlando, Florida and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about HVAC preventative maintenance and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “alexmillos/Shutterstock”