If you’re in the market to purchase a new A/C this summer, the first thing you need to do is find the best contractor for air-conditioner installation. There are a lot of choices out there, and with a little work, you’ll be sure to find one who’s knowledgeable, trustworthy and professional. To begin your search, we recommend that you ask your contractor about the following subjects:
- Cooling load calculation – If a contractor solely uses the square footage of your home to calculate the size of your new A/C, get a new contractor. Using square footage, without taking into account a variety of other factors, is simply not a good indicator of a home’s cooling load.
- Size explanation – A competent technician will not only be able to choose the proper unit size for your home, but will also be able to explain to you why his or her choice is correct.
- Ductwork design and adequacy – If your ductwork isn’t up to snuff, your new cooling system won’t be able to work as efficiently as it should. To rectify this, the contractor will need to work with you to fix any problems such as poor design or air leaks.
- Airflow measurement – Poor airflow is bad news for the cooling capabilities of an A/C system. This will need to be checked during installation to avoid any future issues.
- Safety check – The contractor needs to ensure that all electrical connections – such as circuit breakers, fuses and wiring – are working correctly with the new system. If not, you’re looking at an unsafe situation for your household.
- Thermostat test – If you hope for your new A/C to function properly, it must be compatible with your thermostat. Checking each mode is essential, as well.
- Refrigerant charge – If your new system is undercharged or overcharged, its performance and energy efficiency will suffer. A good contractor will ensure that the charge is set according to manufacturer specs.
For more expert advice on finding a great contractor for air-conditioner installation, please contact the professionals at Rinaldi’s Energy Solutions. We’re confident that we will provide satisfactory answers to all of your questions and concerns. We’ve been serving the HVAC needs of Central Florida since 1969.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Orlando, Florida and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about air-conditioner installations and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock