Your Spring Air Conditioner Maintenance Visit: Schedule It Soon
With the cooling season underway in Central Florida, now’s the time to schedule your spring air conditioner maintenance. Preventive maintenance on your air conditioner will benefit you in several ways:
- Extend the life of your system.
- Improve your air conditioner’s efficiency.
- Lower your energy bills and your carbon footprint.
- Prevent mid-summer breakdowns requiring expensive repairs or replacement.
A skilled HVAC technician will perform a comprehensive examination and tuneup of your system, including these key points:
- Lubricate the motor to eliminate friction.
- Check the controls for proper cycling.
- Record operating pressures and temperatures.
- Check the level of refrigerant and inspect for leaks.
- Flush the condensate drain to ensure it doesn’t overflow and cause mold growth.
- Tighten electrical connections.
- Inspect the blower motor and belts for excessive wear.
- Tighten belts as needed.
- Check the voltage and amperage on the motor.
- Clean the outdoor condensing unit.
- Clean and adjust the thermostat to ensure accuracy.
Maintenance doesn’t end with your spring air conditioner tuneup. Here are some things you should do to ensure your air conditioner remains efficient for the duration of the cooling season:
- Maintain your outdoor condensing unit. Remove debris from the surface of the unit and around it, such as grass clippings and weeds. Every month, spray down the condensing unit with a hose to remove dirt buildup, which can reduce your system’s efficiency.
- Keep the area around the indoor unit free of dust, which can build up inside the unit, and move obstructions such as boxes and furniture, which can impede airflow and make it difficult for a technician to access your air conditioner if service is needed.
- Check your air filter monthly and replace it when it’s dirty. A clean air filter keeps your air conditioner’s interior clean and ensures optimum airflow, as well as improves your indoor air quality.
- Remove obstructions such as furniture, rugs and drapery from your supply and return registers to maintain optimum airflow.
For more expert advice about annual maintenance for your air conditioner, please contact us at Rinaldi’s Energy Solutions, serving the Orlando area since 1969.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Orlando, Florida and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about air conditioner maintenance and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock