Helpful Allergy Season Tips
With spring arriving in most of the country, allergies will be in full bloom. Here in Florida, unfortunately, with trees, flowers and other flora blooming for most of the year, we hardly ever get a break from so-called spring allergies. Plus, we’re susceptible to most of the other allergy triggers common in other parts of the country. So it’s important to know what incites allergies and what to do to avoid or prevent those triggers from victimizing allergy sufferers in your home. Follow these allergy tips:
- Dust and clean your house often.
- When possible, keep doors and windows closed to prevent pollen and other allergens from entering the home.
- Pollen and other allergy triggers don’t just come in through windows; they hitchhike rides indoors on people and pets. Have family members and guests remove coats, hats and shoes before entering your home, or at least ask them to brush off their outer wear before coming inside.
- With pets, brush their coats before they come inside. This will remove some of the pollen they might be carrying as well as dander that can exacerbate allergies. If you have indoor cats or dogs, don’t let them enter the bedrooms of allergy sufferers or climb on the furniture.
- Dust mites eat the dander that flakes off from human bodies onto bedding and furniture. Use allergy-proof casings to cover box springs, sheets and pillow cases. Clean your bedding weekly in hot water, and brush off furniture regularly.
- Change your HVAC system’s air filter on a regular basis (usually monthly, or when the filter looks clogged or dirty). This allows the filter to more effectively remove a variety of potential allergens before they circulate in your indoor air. Choose a filter that’s rated for removing very small particulates, since many allergens are microscopic.
- Consider installing a whole-house air cleaner that uses a combination of technologies to remove all but the very smallest contaminants from indoor air.
For more allergy tips to help you stay healthy throughout the Orlando area’s ongoing allergy season, please contact us at Rinaldi’s Energy Solutions.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Orlando, Florida and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Galushko Sergey/Shutterstock”