Check Your Home For These Ductwork And Vent Problems — Any One Of Them Could Be Hindering Your Airflow
The duct system in your Florida home is essential to proper airflow throughout the year. According to the Department of Energy, improperly sealed ducts can cause 15 percent or more of the air produced by your heating and cooling system to escape. This makes your HVAC system work harder to keep your home at a comfortable temperature. A harder working system equals higher energy costs for you and a shorter life for your heating and cooling system.
Many of the common ventilation problems are easy to fix and require minimal effort and cost. Just a few simple changes can lead to significant savings for your wallet. Optimizing the airflow in your home will also reduce your home’s heating and cooling load, which leads to greater energy efficiency. Address these common ductwork and vent problems to avoid energy loss this winter:
- Move any furniture or decorations blocking the air vents inside each room. Both the supply lines and the return vent need to be open and free of obstructions.
- Replace filters on return vents. Dirty filters block efficient airflow.
- Check the ducts under your home or inside the attic for signs of leaks. Fill any holes in the ducts with mastic. Tighten loose joints between sections of ductwork and straighten out any kinks in the lines. Replace old, brittle duct tape with secure screws and mastic.
- Inspect the joint between your heating unit and the duct system. Much of the heat from this unit may be escaping right at the source. Seal the joint to increase airflow.
- Add insulation to ductwork in uninsulated areas, such as in the crawlspace under the house. Reattach any insulation that has fallen or shifted out of place.
Addressing these problems will improve the airflow in your house, improving air quality and the energy efficiency of your home.
For more information about ductwork and vent problems, or to hire a certified professional to make duct repairs, contact us at Rinaldi’s Air Conditioning.We provide the Orlando area with professional service for all HVAC needs.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about ductwork and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Rinaldi’s services Orlando, Florida and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!