Ways to Keep Energy Costs Down Year Round in Your Central Florida Home
Winter is just around the corner in Orlando and it’s time to get ready for cooler temperatures. Even though our winters are mild compared to many other parts of the country you should take the time to prepare. These six simple steps will help you keep your energy costs down and enjoy a comfortable winter season.
- Use natural light. Take advantage of the sun’s heat to help keep energy costs down. Open the curtains on south facing windows during the day and close them at night,
- Eliminate drafts and leaks. If any of your windows are drafty you can install heavy duty clear plastic sheeting or tight fitting shades to reduce the amount of cold air that enters your home. Search for and seal air leaks around doors, windows, chimneys, and recessed lights. If you need help sealing air leaks our team can help!
- Utilize the thermostat. Adjusting your home’s thermostat is an excellent way to keep energy costs down. When you are asleep or away from your home drop the temperature 10 to 15 degrees. Investing in a programmable thermostat makes changing the temperature simple because you can set the thermostat to adjust to your family’s schedule and home comfort needs.
- Reduce water heating costs. Because water heating may account for up to 25% of consumed energy in your home it is important to turn down the temperature setting to keep energy costs down.
- Be smart with fireplace use. Keep the damper closed unless a fire is burning and drop the home’s temperature to around 55 degrees when the fireplace is in use. Consider investing in a heat air exchange system that will work to blow the heated air back into the room.
- Perform regular maintenance. Routine maintenance is key to keeping your HVAC systems functioning properly. Change the air filters on a regular basis, pay attention to the system’s performance, and schedule regular visits from an HVAC technician.
To learn more ways to keep energy costs down in your central Florida home contact our team at Rinaldis Air Conditioning Service today.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Orlando, Florida and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about energy costs and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “mstanley/Shutterstock”