Plumbing Emergencies: Their Sources and Cures
Some plumbing emergencies are unavoidable, striking at the most inopportune moments. Others can be prevented by avoiding the common mistakes that cause them. Here’s a look at five potential plumbing emergencies, their sources and cures.
Backed up kitchen sink
- Source: A malfunctioning garbage disposal is usually to blame here.
- Cure: Avoid putting certain types of trash in the sink that tends to clog the pipes or get twisted up in the garbage disposal blades, such as vegetable peelings, egg shells, cooking grease, pits and seeds, or anything inorganic.
Leaking water after installing a garbage disposal
- Source: The installation process is straightforward and doesn’t require advanced plumbing knowledge. However, failure to remove the knockout plug could cause this issue.
- Cure: If the dishwasher and disposal are connected, you must remove the knockout plug to avoid leaks.
Pipe corrosion that blocks the pipe
- Source: Dielectric corrosion may be to blame. This is when two different metals, such as copper and steel, are connected without the proper coupling.
- Cure: Purchase an inexpensive dielectric union to connect the metals. This prevents them from touching with a rubber washer and plastic sleeve.
- Source: Of course, there are natural sources for this problem, but flushing inappropriate items down the toilet is a common cause of overflowing toilets as well.
- Cure: Install a toilet lock to thwart your child’s naughty attempts to disobey the rules. If a toy does get lodged in the toilet, consider phoning a knowledgeable plumber immediately instead of attempting to plunge, which forces the toy in deeper and worsens the problem.
Bubbling sounds from first-floor drains
- Source: A drain stoppage is the most likely cause of this noise.
- Cure: Whatever you do, don’t run water upstairs if you hear bubbling from drains on the first floor. Instead, open the sewer clean-out plug outside your home and call a plumber for assistance.
Plumbing emergencies are best left to professionals with the necessary experience. If you’re not sure what’s going on with your home’s plumbing system, please contact us at Rinaldi’s Energy Solutions in Orlando today. We have the knowledge and experience needed to fix your plumbing emergency.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Orlando, Florida and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about plumbing emergencies and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock