Your HVAC system is in need of maintenance. You could call in a professional to service it, but you’d rather save some money and take care of the problem yourself. Be careful, though. HVAC maintenance can be dangerous to attempt if you don’t know what you’re doing. Here are a few basic maintenance tasks you can do yourself, to keep your system in good condition between visits. The rest should be left to professionals.
- Change your air filter. One of the most important HVAC maintenance tasks, your filter should be checked once a month and changed about every three to six months, to ensure proper airflow through your system.
- Check your thermostat. Make sure it’s at the most optimal setting, to keep your home comfortable without using too much energy.
- Remove dirt and debris. There are several places debris can accumulate around your system. Check the outdoor unit for dirt, twigs, and other obstructions, and trim back any grass or vegetation for at leasttwo feet in all directions. Then, turn off the system and clean any dirt off of the fan blades and coils, and check the base pan for debris as well.
- Unbend coil fins. The aluminum fins on your evaporator and condenser coil can become bent out of shape over time. This restricts airflow and wastes energy. However, using a special fin comb, you can bend the fins back into their original shape.
- Clear drain blockages. Your HVAC system produces an enormous amount of moisture, and if the condensate drain is clogged, there’s nowhere for it to go. Make sure the drain is clear, by running a stiff wire through the drain channels.
Even after performing these tasks, it’s still important to schedule a professional HVAC maintenance visit annually. Your HVAC technician will check for refrigerant leaks, make sure your electrical components function properly, oil and tighten your belts, motors, and other mechanical components, and perform a variety of other essential tasks to keep your system running smoothly and efficiently.
For help with HVAC maintenance, contact us at Rinaldi’s Energy Solutions. We proudly serve Orlando’s HVAC needs.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Orlando, Florida and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “OpenClipartVectors/pixabay”