Can You Save More Money with a Zoned Heating System?
With a zoned heating system, you can control heat distribution throughout your home during any time of the day or night. Additionally, zoned heating systems can offer substantial energy savings if you heat or cool only occupied zones, instead of your entire home. Keep reading to see if a zoning system is right for your Central Florida home.
Basics of Zoned Heating
A typical heating system heats your entire home based on the settings of one thermostat. In many non-zoned homes, heating and cooling temperatures are uncomfortable, inefficient and can lead to disagreements over thermostat settings. In contrast, a zoned heating system gives homeowners the ability to control the temperature in each zone, maximizing efficiency, comfort and energy-saving efforts.
Here are the basic steps for designing a zoning system:
- Zones are determined by several factors, including the number of occupants you have at home, the frequency and time occupied in each zone, heat gain/loss factors of each area and much more.
- Your home may be zoned into a basic two-zone system, or you can have up to eight zones to provide separate heating and cooling for bedrooms, home offices and sun rooms.
- Motorized duct doors are installed in the air ducts of each zone.
- Thermostats or temperature sensors, which control the duct doors, are installed in each zone.
- Your zoning system is programmed from a central panel.
More Benefits of Zoned Heating
Zoned heating and cooling can save energy dollars and personalize your home comfort. Zoned systems offer another benefit — they can lower the heating and cooling load on your HVAC system. If you’re heating or cooling half or less of your home, the load is equally reduced. A lighter load means less work for your heat pump or furnace and less wear and tear on system parts. You can potentially reduce repairs and extend the lifespan of your HVAC system.
To discuss installing a zoned heating system in your Greater Orlando home, contact the home comfort specialists at Rinaldi’s Air Conditioning Service.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Orlando, Florida and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about zoned heating system and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “David Crockett/Shutterstock”