Investing a bit of effort and time to put these energy saving tips can add up to summertime energy savings, leaving you with a more comfortable home. Some of the tips even prolong the lifetime of your most expensive appliances.
- Have your cooling system tuned up this summer. A thorough cleaning and adjustments to it will improve energy efficiency, help it last longer, and lower its energy consumption. The HVAC technician will test the electrical components, check the refrigerant level, and verify the airflow. Low refrigerant and ductwork leaks increase energy costs significantly that are both easy to fix.
- Check the air filter for the air handler monthly. A clean filter allows ample air to go through the air handler that helps cool your home faster. It also prevents dust from covering the blower motor and the evaporator coil, the component that carries the cold refrigerant. A clean coil transfers heat more quickly and shortens the cooling cycle. Staying on top of filter maintenance throughout the summer is one of the best energy saving tips you can use.
- Maintain the outdoor condenser throughout the summer, especially after a strong wind or heavy rain. Any dirt, dust, or grass clippings that collect on or the condenser’s coil insulates it, making it harder for the hot refrigerant to cool. Hose off the coil periodically throughout the summer and keep vegetation at least 24 inches away from the unit.
- Turn down the water heater to 120 degrees. Not only will it cut energy usage, it reduces hard water deposits in the tank that shorten its lifetime.
- Use the fans in the kitchen and bathroom to remove excessive humidity that contributes to higher cooling costs and lower indoor comfort. Turn off the fans after the air clears.
- Run ceiling or portable fans only when you’re occupying a room. Fans move air that cools your skin faster but won’t change the temperature of the room.
Putting energy saving tips to use this summer will cut your utility bills this summer. If you’d like more information, contact Rinaldi’s Energy Solutions, providing HVAC services for Orlando-area homeowners.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Orlando, Florida and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Ondrej Supitar/StockSnap”