With record heat in cities across the country this spring, there’s no denying that summer is coming. Warm weather means a spike in energy bills for many Florida homeowners, but there are a number of ways to keep summer energy bills under control:
- Install a programmable thermostat: It can save you money by automatically adjusting the temperature in your house according to your daily routine. With a programmable thermostat, you can run your air conditioner less at times when you don’t really need it, like while you’re at work or asleep.
- Use ceiling fans: The average ceiling fan costs less to operate than a light bulb, and it creates a gentle wind-chill effect that eases the burden on your air conditioner and lets you raise your thermostat a few degrees without sacrificing comfort.
- Schedule air conditioner maintenance: Annual maintenance keeps your air conditioner running efficiently, and prevents major problems from developing. Spring is the best time for maintenance, since you’ll want your A/C to be in top shape before summer arrives.
- Use appliances wisely: Cook outdoors whenever possible to avoid making your house hotter, and save baking for cool mornings and evenings. Only run your dishwasher and washing machine when you’re ready to wash a full load. Wash clothes in warm or cold water, and let them dry outside on a clothesline whenever the weather allows.
- Have your ducts sealed: Even if you have a highly efficient air conditioner, it can be wasted if it’s blowing air through leaky ductwork. Ducts can develop cracks, holes and loose connections over time, which can waste a lot of energy. Depending on the accessibility of your air ducts, you might be able to make sealing them a do-it-yourself project, or you may need professional assistance.
- Update your lighting: Fluorescent light bulbs use less energy and last longer than older incandescent bulbs. They also produce less heat, which makes it that much easier to keep your house cool.
To learn more about ways to control summer energy costs, contact Rinaldi’s Air Conditioning. We’ve been serving the Orlando area for more than 40 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about controlling your energy costs and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Rinaldi’s services Orlando, Florida and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!