Before you call an HVAC contractor to help you with a heating issue, you may be able to solve the problem yourself with some simple furnace-troubleshooting tips. This could end up saving you a great deal of money and hassle by getting your house back to the warm and cozy levels you are used to.
Below are some of problems that homeowners frequently run into with their furnaces, and some easy ways to solve them. Before trying any of these, make sure to cut the electricity or gas to your furnace.
Furnace Not Creating Any Heat
- Turn on the power switch located near the furnace cabinet. Though this may seem obvious, many people turn it off when the temperatures start to rise so that it doesn’t accidentally get turned on, and then forget about it once winter arrives.
- Reset your furnace’s circuit breaker if it is tripped. You will need to replace the fuse if it has been completely blown.
- Switch the thermostat to “heat” mode rather than “cool.”
- Reset the blower motor with the “reset” button located on its housing.
Furnace Not Creating Sufficient Heat
- Change or wash your furnace filters, depending on which kind you have. Check the manufacturer’s recommendations to see how often you need to maintain them. Never hand-wash a filter meant to be thrown out.
- Clear the air registers in your home. Remove any obstacles like furniture or window curtains that could be inhibiting airflow.
- Raise your set temperature to something higher than the current temperature indicated on your thermostat.
Blower Won’t Shut Off
- Reset the limit switch so that the lower indicator is set to around 90 degrees while the higher is set around 115 degrees.
- Make sure the fan switch is set to “off” or “auto.”
If these furnace-troubleshooting tips don’t correct your heating issues then it’s time to contact the pros at Rinaldi’s Air Conditioning. We have proudly served the central Florida area for 42 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about heating problems and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Rinaldi’s services Orlando, Florida and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!
Furnace Troubleshooting image via Shutterstock