The Ductless Mini Split: Three Reasons To Give It Serious Consideration
If installing a new duct system (or extending existing ductwork) is prohibitive for cost, time or convenience reasons, consider a ductless mini split heat pump. These compact systems are a good solution to air condition new home additions or homes without ducts here in central Florida. These energy-efficient pumps work well in our climate to both cool (and heat as needed) local homes.
Ductless mini splits include an compressor located outside and an indoor evaporator/air handler. A conduit connects the two sections, containing refrigerant and suction tubes, condensate drain and the power cable. The many advantages include:
- Ease of installation: The conduit connection between outside and inside units can be up to 50 feet long and is run through a small hole in the wall. The outdoor compressor can then be placed in a hidden spot or one far from bedrooms to abate any noise.
- Flexibility of layout: Often, just one outside condenser/compressor can serve up to four air-handler indoor units (covering four separate rooms). This setup is ideal for cooling or heating individual rooms as needed, called zoning, to save money and energy.
- Design placement options: Floor models are available or indoor units can be hung from the ceiling or incorporated into a drop ceiling. These compact units may also be located high on walls and equipped with remote control. Thin profiles and modern-looking covers blend well with indoor decor.
- Low energy loss: Duct systems are often responsible for a great amount of energy waste in central forced air conditioning systems. Federal Energy Savers studies indicate that mini-splits may allow you to use 30 percent less energy for cooling/heating, saving money each month on utility bills.
- Safety: With just a small hole in the wall, there’s little risk of a burglar entering the home as there might be if a window unit or ducts are installed.
Questions about ductless mini splits? Contact the Orlando-area experts at Rinaldi’s Air Conditioning. We’re happy to answer questions and explain the options available for your unique home comfort situation. Visit our website for details or just give us a call.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about ductless mini splits and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Rinaldi’s services Orlando, Florida and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!