Installing, repairing and maintaining a home’s HVAC system requires considerable training and experience. When you’re hiring an HVAC contractor, you’ll also want to ensure that the one you choose is knowledgeable, reputable and reliable. Here is a basic hiring guide that can help you in your search.
- Create a short list. Check with the Better Business Bureau or area trade associations to find well-regarded contractors. You can also ask for referrals from neighbors, friends or co-workers for HVAC companies they’ve dealt with and would recommend.
- Expect an inspection. Before providing an estimate or scheduling a repair or installation, a reputable company should evaluate your existing system. If you’re installing new equipment, they should size the capacity needed based on your square footage, insulation, windows and other factors, and check that the ducting is adequate.
- Request references. Get the names of previous customers from every HVAC contractor on your list. Contact each one to inquire about their overall satisfaction with the work performed, and whether the job stayed on time and on budget.
- Look for licensed, bonded and insured. A reputable company should willingly provide you with their Florida HVAC license, surety bond, worker’s compensation and general liability insurance details. You can check on license validity with Florida’s Construction Industry Licensing Board (CILB), and find in-depth details on the state licensing requirements.
- Get written estimates. Whether you’re repairing an existing system or considering a new installation, always get at least three estimates in writing. Each estimate should cover the scope of the work, and details of the total cost including labor, equipment, fees and necessary permits.
- Ask for a contract. A reliable and trustworthy HVAC professional should provide a contract signed by both parties that includes a cost breakdown for labor, equipment, fees and permits, the start and completion dates, warranty details, and a payment schedule. The contract should also mention the model/serial number(s) of any equipment that’s being installed.
If you have questions about hiring an HVAC contractor, contact us Rinaldi’s Energy Solutions. Since our founding in 1969, we’ve built a reputation for outstanding service with homeowners in Orlando and Central Florida.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Orlando, Florida and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about HVAC contractors and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock