Deciding if You Should Get a Plumbing Upgrade
A reliable home plumbing system is something we all take for granted today, so it’s often a shock when unexpected, age-related problems develop. If the system that delivers water throughout your home is getting older, you can prevent uncessary headaches and costly household damage by learning the signs to watch for that warn you it’s time for a plumbing upgrade.
Advance Warning of Future Problems With Your Plumbing System
It’s wise to have your plumbing pipes inspected by a licensed professional if you can relate to any of the following issues:
- Aging galvanized pipes. Do you still have galvanized pipes? If so, they may be badly corroded on the inside even though they look like they’re in good condition. This is because the outside is treated to prevent rusting, but not the interior.
- Incompatible metals. If a portion of your galvanized piping was replaced with copper, the entire system may be deteriorating at a faster rate than you’d expect if dielectric unions weren’t used for the connections between these two incompatible metals.
- Older plumbing. The materials used in older plumbing systems have a lifespan of about 60 years. If you have an older home and the original pipes are still in place, it’s just a matter of time before you start experiencing serious problems.
- Evidence of decay. If you have older plumbing, it’s wise to check the condition of easily-accessible pipes around your water heater, in the crawlspace or garage, and under the kitchen and bathrooms sinks.If the piping is dimpled, flaking or discolored, it’s probably deteriorating in hidden areas too and needs attention.
- Leaks and low pressure. Evidence of old water stains around some pipes, frequent minor leaks, or a decline in water pressure are all signs that it’s time to have your plumbing system assessed to see if an upgrade is warranted.
- Discolored water. If you notice that your water has a distinctly orange or brown hue, it’s a clear sign of rust formation on the inside of your pipes.
If you’re concerned that your Orlando-area home may need a plumbing upgrade, contact us at Rinaldi’s Energy Solutions.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Orlando, Florida and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “geralt/Pixabay”