Summer Savings: Reducing Energy Bills
You might be surprised to find out how many ways you can save energy this summer, and most of them are relatively simple and inexpensive.
Try these tips for sure summer savings on energy:
- Use ceiling fans to supplement the work of your central A/C. Fans create a cooling effect for anybody in the path of the moving air. This will make the air feel three or four degrees cooler, even though it’s not actually changing the temperature. Turn up your A/C by the same amount for summer savings on your cooling costs.
- Take advantage of the cool night air on evenings when it’s not too muggy or hot. Granted, there aren’t a lot of nights like that during an Orlando summer, but this tip also can help save energy during other parts of the year. Open windows on cool evenings, and let that cool air keep your house comfortable in the morning until it starts getting hot.
- During sunny days, close curtains, shades, blinds and other window treatments on the sunny side of the house. You’ll reduce the temperature in those rooms by several degrees, giving your A/C a break.
- Inspect your A/C’s air filter every month and change it before it gets clogged with dust and debris. A clogged filter will impede system airflow, forcing your air conditioner to work harder and use more energy.
- Make sure your attic is properly insulated and ventilated. An attic that’s allowed to overheat during the summer will heat up the rest of the house, making your cooling system work all the harder to make your home comfortable.
- Schedule professional maintenance on your A/C or heat pump before the summer arrives full force. A properly maintained HVAC system will operate more efficiently and effectively, creating summer savings on energy.
- Use a programmable thermostat to save energy with temperature setbacks when you’re not home during the day, or when you go on vacation. There’s no reason to fully cool an empty house.
For more tips on saving energy in your Orlando area home this summer, please contact us at Rinaldi’s Energy Solutions.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Orlando, Florida and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “gc1366/Pixabay”